Interesting observation, Karen.
In my (limited) experience, most venues that regularly exhibit artwork do
insure the art while it is on the premises. There have been exceptions,
such as libraries and other non-commercial galleries, and in those cases I
just decided I could live with the risk. Perhaps I have not exhibited art
frequently enough in recent years to have noticed the trend you suspect –
and if it's a trend I would not be surprised. I used to exhibit my work
more frequently but have curtailed this practice because of the expense of
framing and shipping artwork (and the hassle of sending of sending it
across the border).

What struck me about your story is your mention of entry fees. In my
opinion, commercial galleries should not be charging entry fees or
exhibition fees. I think in some cases when a venue charges an entry fee
for a juried exhibit it is acceptable, but only if the fees come back to
the artists in some way, such as being divided among the exhibiting artists
and/or being used for awards.

Kudos to the GNSI for not charging an entry fee for their annual exhibit!

---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario