Hi Karen:
You have raised an interesting question.

I don't enter too many exhibits, just the few organizations that I support. So far, all of the venues for exhibits offer insurance while in the galleries, and in the traveling exhibits, too.
There was one group who was negotiating for a deal on group insurance, but oddly enough there was not enough interest. I assume then, that these other folks have independent insurance.

Talk about the fine print. I was going to join a regional organization, enter their exhibit, they were anxious to include me under the deadline. Then I read where in order to insure the painting while in their gallery, the artist had to sign over ownership in order to have the piece insured.  They said that it was so they could get the price down on insurance. He said "Oh, we never really consider that we own the artwork" Whaaa?  The contract says they DO...... so, Deal-Breaker.

I've recently heard some disturbing tales about treatment of paintings while at the gallery during installation. So "reasonable care" is extremely vague, you are right. It seems chipped frames and scored plexi don't rate high on claims. It largely supports fire, theft or damage to the artwork.

I've had several folks tell me to only use frames that can be touched up easily. hmmm.

Thanks for the thoughts, it is something we need to consider.
Best,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC