From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] exhibiting art work

Gretchen, thank you for the kind words. I agree it is best not to exhibit without insurance, unless I can send a print. Still, the time/effort of making a good print, framing it and shipping itÖ requires an investment of time/effort/dollars. As you say, sobering. I try to exhibit once or twice a year to keep my work out there and to stay active in the art community.

Iím disappointed to learn that the frame-it-yourself shops are few and far between, at least around here. I assume for insurance reasons. I know most places use computerized mat cutting these days. I cut mine by hand using an inexpensive Logan cutter (though I lust for a fancier model). I have grown somewhat dissatisfied with my frame shop of some 15 yearsÖ they have raised their prices hugely. A large sheet of 8-ply archival mat board costs $120; I can get the exact same thing for less than half elsewhere. Thatís just being greedy. I havenít tried them yet, but Iíve scoped out another small frame shop whose owner has agreed to make the (wood) frames and cut the glassÖ and I can do the rest (to keep the cost down).

Life isnít dull!