Two words: Franken Frames. Three more words: talk to Roger. I have been dealing with this company now for 15 years, and I am one happy camper. This company goes above and beyond. They have come through for me many a time. Feel free to tell Roger that I sent you. B

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2016, at 8:16 PM, Marni Fylling <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I don't show my work much, but am getting ready for a little exhibit right now.

I use American Frame Company http://www.americanframe.com

Rely on American Frame for custom picture frames in wood or metal, art frames, gallery frames, supplies and fine art digital printing at wholesale prices.

Their website is awful to order from (for me, anyway), but if you have all of your dimensions, you can get reasonably-priced frames, mats, backing board, plexi, etc. that you assemble yourself. For my little block prints (frames are about 7x8", the cost of all of the supplies is under 20 dollars for a black metal frame, normal plexi and regular mat and backing board (not archival). Of course, they have UV plexi and archival boards, but it's too expensive for me for a show like this. The shipping is a little pricey unless you're ordering a bunch at a time- not economical for just a couple of frames.

They are very nice on the phone, have never made a mistake on all of the custom mats, and are pretty quick- I think this last order of 7 frames got to me in less than a week from when I made the phone call.

Definitely not for everyone, but if it could work for you, it's something to consider.
Good luck!
marni

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] exhibiting art work

Gretchen, thank you for the kind words. I agree it is best not to exhibit without insurance, unless I can send a print. Still, the time/effort of making a good print, framing it and shipping it… requires an investment of time/effort/dollars. As you say, sobering. I try to exhibit once or twice a year to keep my work out there and to stay active in the art community.

I’m disappointed to learn that the frame-it-yourself shops are few and far between, at least around here. I assume for insurance reasons. I know most places use computerized mat cutting these days. I cut mine by hand using an inexpensive Logan cutter (though I lust for a fancier model). I have grown somewhat dissatisfied with my frame shop of some 15 years… they have raised their prices hugely. A large sheet of 8-ply archival mat board costs $120; I can get the exact same thing for less than half elsewhere. That’s just being greedy. I haven’t tried them yet, but I’ve scoped out another small frame shop whose owner has agreed to make the (wood) frames and cut the glass… and I can do the rest (to keep the cost down).

Life isn’t dull!