I use UPS. But all UPS stores are not equal. I moved, so went to the new-to-me UPS store and they refused any insurance whatsoever. No amount of insisting helped. So on a whim I called a different store and they were fine with it. When the work is returned to me, I have it shipped to them. For $5, they hold it til I can pick it up. Stays safe and dry.

Their only complaint is the Uline box I use doesn't meet their specifications for shipping artwork. They want it to be 4-inches deeper. But they still will ship for me. Very nice service.

Before Uline boxes I made my own boxes of layered foam core. These would get wrapped in plastic and put in a larger box with shipping peanuts. I still am using a few of these. Once I shipped a piece this way, got to the conference (not GNSI) and they could not find the box, even though it had been signed for. Looked everywhere that night. Next morning looked again and checked by the loading dock. There was box, stacked next to a dumpster to be thrown out. Covered with the bright green stickers the conference provided. The box was light (foam core box around a small piece), so someone had decided it was empty without bothering to look inside. The conference had insurance so insurance wasn't an issue, but it just shows the unexpected can happen.

Karen

From my iPhone.