So Karen, what words do you use, exactly, with UPS, when you say you want
to ship artwork? I have seen UPS employees turn into deer in the headlights
at the mere mention of the word "artwork". Like it has never come up
before! Sometimes they seem to respond better to the term "scientific
diagrams", in my experience…

Anyway, would love to know just how you phrase things. Around here, we have
only one conveniently-located UPS (--although your advice to try out
different UPS stores is still well-taken. I would drive a fair distance
further if it meant a better, more secure deal on shipping).

Jenny

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> frame that had been custom painted. And there were two matching frames,
> though the 2nd one was not damaged. UPS covered the cost of 2 new frames
> and glass. It was paid out between 2 insurance companies - one for the UPS
> and one for the specific shop.
>
> Karen
>
> From my iPhone.
>
> On Oct 20, 2016, at 4:53 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I experienced the same thing with FED EX. They would charge me to insure a
> $3000 original, but the fine print only paid out $250.hmmmm.
>
> I ship UPS, and they seem to have a different policy.
> I've never had a claim however.
>
> Others have a few horror stories, as I remember.
>
> Cheers,
> Linda
> ___________________________
> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
> (520) 803-0538
> www.lindafeltner.com
>

> On Oct 20, 2016, at 2:45 PM, Jennifer Keller wrote:
>
> Several of you have referred to shipping your artwork, with added
> insurance. What are your favorite and least-favorite carriers? I nixed Fed
> Ex when they insisted that my artwork was only insurable for the cost of
> the paper it was drawn on. Would love to hear others' experiences and
> advice.
> Jenny
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I’ve been entering a few exhibitions lately, and it’s troubling to find
>> that more and more galleries do not insure the work while it is in their
>> possession. They want the right to use your images in their publicity
>> materials, some require the work be for sale and of course they get a
>> percentage of the sale price, and there is an entry fee. All of that is
>> fine… and I am used to paying shipping/insurance there and back. But they
>> don’t insure it while it is in their possession.
>>
>> My choice would be to get private insurance or not to submit. I did look
>> into private insurance, but my homeowner’s will only insure artwork up to
>> $1000, and my work is priced higher than that. I’m sure I could pursue
>> other insurance companies, and I’m sure it wouldn’t be cheap. If I can
>> submit a print, then insurance is less of an issue, but there is still the
>> cost of the frame and museum/plexi (no glass as the work is shipped).
>>
>> The galleries profit from the exhibition and take no responsibility other
>> than “reasonable care” (which is conveniently vague).
>>
>> I’m surprised that this seems to be more and more common. Wondering what
>> you have experienced, and what you think about this.
>>
>> Karen

>> instructions at
>>

> --
> Jenny Keller
> Program Coordinator and Instructor, Science Illustration Program
> CSU Monterey Bay • 100 Campus Center • Seaside, CA 93955-8001
> (831) 582-3480 • (831) 582-4502 fax • scienceillustration.org

Jenny Keller