In my area there is a "UPS Store" and a "UPS Center". The UPS store is a separate business enterprise, that partners with UPS. They will NOT ship artwork insured unless THEY pack it and they use peanuts. Peanuts are not allowed in some exhibits. So, I use an Airfloat box, take pictures like you said, and the regular, official UPS delivery center has never argued one whit. They do make note if it's glass, plex, or in some cases, double-boxed (but that's a home-made box).   So the difference may be that a UPS Store really has it's own rules, different from the "real" UPS.

hope that helps.
L.
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC