I agree that Rothman just wanted to make a literary allusion and failed to understand the novel.  I find it a bad appropriation of Cather.  But maybe that's for the good of our purposes in making Willa Cather better known.

That said, I'm reminded of the Chief Information officer for the Navy.  I was about 25 and at a conference in the Pentagon for new public relations officers.  The Navy had a Tomcat crash the day prior and it was all over the front page (top and over the fold) of the Washington Post.  We couldn't believe he would still take the time to meet with u,s and we were so worried what kind of mood he would be in.  He walked in and said, "It's a good day.  The Navy is on the front page."  He wasn't stupid, nor was he wrong.

Rothman may have misappropriated Cather, but our Willa Cather is in the New Yorker, and this well-educated and curious audience might choose to pick up My Antonia and decide for themselves.  So it's a good day in the Cather world, she's mentioned in the New Yorker. :)

Best wishes

Max