Hey, I'm Gray's wife and I have taught art for many years-- what I did with
my students when they were having trouble with motivation was timed contour
drawings in pen. I demonstrated a one minute contour sketch of a soda can
and while demonstrating emphasized the important part is not that it is
perfect, but that you keep moving the whole time. Also, that I start with
the main shapes and then go into more details. After doing this exercise
for one class they were able to see notable improvement from sketch to
sketch and they were motivated in future classes. It's a good way to get a
lot done in a short period of time, the pen means they can't erase or
struggle with small details, and the contour line drawings pretty much
always look cool. You can also show examples from Picasso's contour line
drawings to show how his pieces looked.