Yes!  I teach adults, mostly retirees.  Start with the exercises taught to
kids so there is early success. I like to begin with the negative space
exercise, setting a still life and giving students a little viewfinder cut
from a cardboard, this way they can learn about composition and how to
really look at things. I move on to things like composition with basic
geometric shapes to explore the elements of space-overlapping, contrast,
edge softness/hardness. Also breaking down things you want to draw like
animals, plants, machines or people into the basic shapes of cone, sphere,
cylinder, box, torus.

Five lessons with discouraged students?? My sympathies.

Maia