Don't stress accuracy too soon. It's too frustrating for beginners.
Stress "exploratory marks" and that the eraser is just as much a tool as
a pencil and that's you aren't erasing mistakes, you are erasing
thoughts that aren't working. I have found that my beginner's tend to
think that they are supposed to start and finish a drawing the first go
round. I try to get them to start with gesture drawing so they can
explore their subject with their whole arm, their whole body and not
just their hand. That way the pressure is off to get things perfect the
first go round. I have them do gesture drawing for a long time because I
don't want them to "marry" their drawing too soon. It's easy to erase
restated lines than a small perfect area that isn't correct. You show
them how to have fun. Get silly. Really stress the fun of exploring and
getting to know the large parts of their subject and gradually work up
to the small stuff.

Those blind contour drawing also help them see. I tell them that their
blind contour drawing will probably be the worst drawing they will ever
do, but if they do it slowly, they will start to discover parts to their
subject that they never noticed.

It's also helpful, on the tricky parts to a subject to have them just do
that little piece separate from the rest so they can figure out how the
heck to draw it. That removes some pressure as well and helps them learn
to break their subject from the whole into bits.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Patricia Savage

*Mayapple**Studio*