This may sound kooky, but it is very liberating!:

Have them draw with their feet!  I remember in several of my college
figure drawing classes, the emphasis was on observation and process,
rather than on the finished product.  We would use big sheets of butcher
paper on the floor, grasp a big fat ebony pencil in our toes, and start
drawing--and the results were so fun--the process was amazing.  Barring
that, get them to use their non-dominant hand, and focus on the
observation, and not the picture.  If they start out with low
expectations, then they can feel free to goof up, and not feel judged,
or be self-judgmental.

Another exercise is to have them cover their drawing while they draw,
and just follow the lines an contours without looking at their result
until after the time allotted.

It is important to get the eye-hand coordination developed, and doing
these exercises is fun and surprising.

Hope this helps,

Chris

On 11/6/2016 12:59 PM, Laurie Bebick wrote:
> I am teaching a  drawing class to adults who have little to no drawing experience. I am finding that many of them are struggling and are disheartened by how hard drawing is. Does anyone have advise on trying to keep their spirits-up? I have only taught 2 classes so far, one on value and how to measure proportions. I have 3 more to go.

>^..^<

*Chris Gralapp*,MA, CMI, FAMI**

Medical/Scientific Illustration

eyeart at chrisgralapp.com