As with any commodity, domain names have their own brokers and middle-men.  All the good (short) names are taken, but there are computer algorithms that generate new word combinations, that might conceivably be still available..  It's an odd world--I think it's best to negotiate one-on-one, rather than to go through a broker.

Chris