I agree this is a great exercise because students can take the drawing home and it looks OK. Usually students cop a lot of not very encouraging feedback when they show blind contours to friends who have never learnt to draw.

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ellen Galligan
Sent: Tuesday, 8 November 2016 12:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] teaching adults to draw

Try using a Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain technique called upside-down drawing. It forces people to really look at what they're doing and keeps the brain from trying to tell them what they think it should look like. I've used that as a warm up technique for students for years. You can use a sample line drawing turned upside down for them to copy for about 5 minutes, then flip it just to look at it before they toss it and begin their actual work of really looking at a subject.

Seems to loosen folks up.

Ellen G

Sent from my iPhone