Dear Laurie:
This thread brings back many fun memories in class. And that's the point, like many have said, to have an enjoyable experience and many great ideas to make it fun. Getting over the fear-factor of drawing for beginners is huge for adults.

I grinned with the comment of big paper. I taught with the Wildlife Drawing class at the Univ. of Washington's Sci. Illus. Certificate Program. These were adults with experience in drawing. The first night I brought in large newsprint pads and Crayolas.
The object was to loosen up and not begin a "precious" drawing.  We had a lot of fun and it broke the ice.  They were told to toss all drawings in the bin as they walked out of class. Nothing precious.

In my own early drawing days, we brought a roll of wall paper (or butcher paper) then rolled our drawing out of sight while we worked on the next drawing, just kept working and rolling, hiding the work and moving on.

With beginning students, I agree with others who have said keep to simple shapes (geometrics, negative space drawings (like a chair), and cropping device). These will build on your previous lesson on proportions. I like blind contour drawings and gesture drawings. Gesture drawings will serve them well, no matter how they improve down the years.

Cheers,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
www.lindafeltner.com