Long story short, I find most people think such use is covered by fair use guidelines. Subsequently, it's hard to charge. I've had numerous experiences of college professors getting angry at me for asking them to stop using my work without permission (and without name credit and copyright notice). I found I was spending a ridiculous amount of time getting people to comply - and no $$ in the bank for my efforts. In order to deal with what often seems to me an impossible situation, I now allow free use for a limited number of images and purposes, as long as I don't need to prepare and send a file (i.e. the user can take the image off my website). If I DO have to send a file, then it's around $25/image. Here's some of the text I send out when I get inquiries from students and teachers - and when I find some of my art posted on websites without permission:

Fair Use, as defined by the US Copyright Office, indicates that a specific work of art may be used one time only (i.e., as a handout for one semester of a specific class or in one PowerPoint lecture). If the work is posted online, it must be available only to students enrolled in the class (such as password protection). References: "Chapter 11 Subject Matter and Scope of Copyright" at http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.pdf and Circular 21, “Reproduction of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians” at http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ21.pdf

In the interests of assisting educators with their mission, I am choosing to allow free, ongoing use in PowerPoint presentations (any image) and free, ongoing use of 1-2 images in classroom handouts and on class-related web pages. Name credit, copyright notice, and a link to my website must be included. Fees will be charged for using more than 2 illustrations for non-PPT, ongoing purposes and for preparing and sending files when requested.

FYI, I've only once or twice had someone agree to pay a fee for me to send an image for such purposes. Most of the time they'd rather limit the # of illustrations they use or grab a low res version off my site than pay up.

Lynette
--
Ms. Lynette R. Cook, Artist/Illustrator
Main Web Site: http://www.lynettecook.com