Yes!  I teach adults, mostly retirees.  Start with the exercises taught to kids so there is early success. I like to begin with the negative space exercise, setting a still life and giving students a little viewfinder cut from a cardboard, this way they can learn about composition and how to really look at things. I move on to things like composition with basic geometric shapes to explore the elements of space-overlapping, contrast, edge softness/hardness. Also breaking down things you want to draw like animals, plants, machines or people into the basic shapes of cone, sphere, cylinder, box, torus.

Five lessons with discouraged students?? My sympathies.

Maia