Linda,

I am seeing it in the App Store for $14.99, maybe that is a slightly less capabale version (?). It seems to me like it would show hidden files by default. It is up to you to decided if they can be trashed or not. Could be dangerous if you are not careful in what you choose. It dose seem to have some nice features for slimming foreign language pakages and locating duplicate files (this happened to me recently with some hidden movie files taking up a lot of space in a separate user space). I have not used this package other thatn playing with the free version a couple years ago.

Britt

----- Original Message -----
From: Linda Feltner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:14:47 -0700
Subject: [SCIART] Software called WhatSize

Hi All:

While searching  the apple knowledgebase, I came across a recommended free software called WhatSize.

I was looking for advice on the best ways to clear up space on the hard drive. I was under 10% free space and my Mac became whackadoodle.

I transferred about 400 GB of files to an external drive (photos) and it freed up that space. Then I found this thread that suggested WhatSize. It touted the ability to find HIDDEN FILES, which can happen if they are not efficiently trashed. The apple knowledgebase said it was easy to search and find. People said it solved their problem for evaluating space-hogs.

I downloaded the free version for my older mac. I can't find how it locates hidden files. It is a limited version, only measuring up to 20G, and that's nothing. I have asked the WhatSize contact for the answer. It seems worth the $29 bucks for the full model, so I'm hoping they can explain, because I'm not seeing it.

I wondered if anyone else out there uses it?

Best,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC