All,

I’m not certain, but I’ve been tossing around the idea of doing a presentation on artist studios. I put this idea out, tentatively, once before, and there was interest. I’d be working towards the GNSI 2017 conference, if all goes according to plan.

I’d like put out this request officially. I’d love to hear from you if you’d like to participate (please respond off-list)… and please do participate. Whether your studio is a dedicated space or the dining room table. Please take pictures. “Before” and “After” pictures might be something to consider… as in BEFORE you start a project, and AFTER you’ve finished a project. I know I start out organized and then chaos sets in. I’d love to feature work spaces of people new to the field as well as seasoned professionals. Home studios as well as staff job studios. Cell phone photos are fine as long as they have reasonably good resolution (for a PowerPoint presentation), or you can use a digital camera. Please try to use good lighting.

I’d also like to put some questions to you. Answer all or some - it’s up to you. And feel free to add your thoughts under “comments”.

I’ve created a DropBox folder here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hzcqrij8dopzfjd/AADKqhWEjKJ3bcElLbj2z6AHa?dl=0
Please upload photos and answers/comments in a folder with your name on it. It would be a good idea to include your name in filenames… as in “smith-photo1.jpg” or "smith-questions.rtf". Photos can be JPEG or PSD files. Answers/comments can be in Word or TextEdit. If you use another program, please save it as a text file (.rtf) or PDF. Or you can email your responses (please include your full name - email addresses can be kind of cryptic. Please put your files into your own folder with your name on it, and include an email in the event that I have any questions.

Here are some questions to think about:

Your full name (as you’d like to appear):

Your email:

The name of your studio:

Describe your ideal studio space.

What is the view from your window?

Do you share your studio space with others (human or animal)?

What are your most important tools?

Do you listen to music while you work? Who?

When you daydream in your studio, what do you think about?

What’s the best advice you’ve been given? From who?

Other comments/thoughts.

I’d like all materials no later than the end of January, in order to give me time to put a good presentation together. Please understand that I may not use all photos/comments - it depends on how many responses I get and of course I have to keep the presentation at about 45 minutes. Please know your name will be featured.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Best,
Karen Ackoff