If the drive is old, it could be reaching the end of life. There are a certain number of sectors reserved for taking over the job of failed sectors. If those are all filled, then some issues are going to start coming up that can't be fixed. There may be some reporting that can tell you the status.

http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

Britt

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Linda Feltner [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Software called WhatSize

Hi Britt:

You may be right. I can hear the hard drive churning away, laboring, like it's trying to find bits.
Granted it's an older mac and something is "clogging the pipes".

I have heard of DiskWarrior, long ago.

Will also run the ADUtility,that hasn't been done in a while, either.

Ta very much,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC