Wow! Yes, big company ;-)

Mieke Roth
Http://miekeroth.com
+31 6 37280899

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM +0100, "Chris Gralapp" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

    Hi David,

      I went through this process a couple of years ago--I had a great
      domain name--biolumina.com--and there was a pharmaceutical
      marketing company in NYC with the same name.  They contacted me
      several times to see if they could buy the domain from me, and I
      was reluctant to sell.  I was also contacted by a company that
      sells bioluminescent plants.  So clearly I had some interest out
      there.

      A few years ago, the NYC agency called again, and this time I
      thought I would explore it a bit--I contacted a lawyer who
      specializes in intellectual property, and had him go to bat for
      me.  He did research, as did I--and we found a whole 'gray' market
      of people who deal in domain names.  it is really a matter of what
      the market will bear, and each is an individual negotiation.  We
      are (currently!) living in prosperous times, so now would be a
      good time to sell.

      My lawyer initially hard-balled the NYC company with an
      unrealistically high value for biolumina.com.  The company parried
      with a much lower figure.  The two sides did the dance for a few
      days and finally we settled on $75K.  The small fee the lawyer
      charged was so well worth the value I got out of the deal--and I
      didn't have to get into the battle!  I got to take a nice vacation
      and fund my IRA.

      My replacement domain is my name--chrisgralapp.com--BORING!  and
      not sellable.  I have since bought a couple of other domain names
      that have more appeal, just in case someone come a-calling...:^)

      best,

      Chris

    On 11/15/2016 9:23 AM, David Fierstein