Wow! Yes, big company ;-)

Mieke Roth
Http://miekeroth.com
+31 6 37280899

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM +0100, "Chris Gralapp" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi David,

I went through this process a couple of years ago--I had a great domain name--biolumina.com--and there was a pharmaceutical marketing company in NYC with the same name.  They contacted me several times to see if they could buy the domain from me, and I was reluctant to sell.  I was also contacted by a company that sells bioluminescent plants.  So clearly I had some interest out there.

A few years ago, the NYC agency called again, and this time I thought I would explore it a bit--I contacted a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property, and had him go to bat for me.  He did research, as did I--and we found a whole 'gray' market of people who deal in domain names.  it is really a matter of what the market will bear, and each is an individual negotiation.  We are (currently!) living in prosperous times, so now would be a good time to sell.

My lawyer initially hard-balled the NYC company with an unrealistically high value for biolumina.com.  The company parried with a much lower figure.  The two sides did the dance for a few days and finally we settled on $75K.  The small fee the lawyer charged was so well worth the value I got out of the deal--and I didn't have to get into the battle!  I got to take a nice vacation and fund my IRA.

My replacement domain is my name--chrisgralapp.com--BORING!  and not sellable.  I have since bought a couple of other domain names that have more appeal, just in case someone come a-calling...:^)

best,

Chris