6th Conference of the Royal Musical Association Music and Philosophy Study
Group

Closing date for submissions: Thursday 8 December 2016

13-14 July 2017

http://www.musicandphilosophy.ac.uk/mpsg2017

King’s College London

Due to technical problems to which we have only just recently been alerted,
the conference e-mail account has not been receiving messages since
mid-October. Special thanks to our website editor Oren Vinogradov for
restoring the account at short notice. We're pleased to confirm that the
account is now back up and running. *If you submitted a proposal before 1
December, we kindly request that you resubmit it to the same address
conference2017
-at- musicandphilosophy.ac.uk before the deadline on Thursday.* Please
accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we look forward to
considering your proposals.

For Free Sessions, we invite proposals for papers on any topic relating to
music and philosophy. The conference presumes inclusive definitions of both
music and philosophy. We take music to include all forms and genres of
music, art music and popular, secular and sacred, raucous and refined, from
any and all historical and geographical locales. We take philosophy to
include analytic, continental, classical, and non-Western thought, as well
as critical theory. Regardless of disciplinary affiliation, the committee
seeks conceptually rigorous and clearly articulated research that presents
a novel argument and advances understanding of its topic. Collaboration
between persons from different disciplines (including music studies,
philosophy, performance, composition, psychology, history, literary
studies, art history, anthropology, and others) are especially welcome.

Proposals are invited for:

   - individual papers (20 minutes) – up to 350 words
   - collaborative papers (up to 30 minutes) – up to 500 words
   - paper sessions of three or four individual (20-minute) papers
   addressing a single topic – up to 350 words per paper plus 350 words
   outlining the rationale for the session (please note, these are different
   from *Themed Sessions*, for which the Call for Papers has closed)
   - Lecture recitals (30 minutes) – up to 350 words

Reasonably priced university accommodation will be available.

The Free Sessions Call for Papers may be consulted in full on our webpage

http://musicandphilosophy.ac.uk/2017freecfp.