CFP for the Modernist Studies Association’s Annual Conference
“Modernism Today”

Amsterdam, August 10-13, 2017

Deadlines:
Seminar and Workshop Proposals: 16 December 2016 (Now extended to January 1)

Panel, Roundtable, and Digital Exhibition Proposals: 13 January 2017

The 2017 meeting of the Modernist Studies Association will not only take
place on the centenary of one of Modernism’s many anni mirabiles, it will
also be located in the city renowned for Rembrandt and Spinoza as well as
De Stijl and the Amsterdamse School, a city well-known for its daring and
usually successful blending of the historical and the modern. We will use
this occasion to tackle head-on Modernism’s relation to our present. What
does Modernism mean to us today – to us as cultural consumers, as scholarly
observers, and as active participants in its projects? Modernism’s own
explicit self-identification with the ever-shifting present – “il faut être
absolument moderne”, “make it new”, etc. – has always tugged at its
historical moorings and resisted standard attempts at periodization. It has
challenged us repeatedly to redefine and reconsider the meaning of the term
“modernism,” as well as to engage in endless debates about its scope, its
internal coherence, and its purview.

Full details: https://msa.press.jhu.edu/conferences/msa19/