We welcome submissions to the Centennial Conference of the Société française de musicologie: “Thinking musicology today: objects, methods, and prospects” (Paris, 23-25 November 2017).
On the occasion of the centenary of its foundation in 1917, the Société française de musicologie organizes a conference with the purpose of investigating the nature and the definition of the field. The aim is to assess its literature and orientations over the last hundred years, but mostly to consider its potential of renewal by way of opening up new prospects for research in different methods and objects of study: acoustic, analysis, aesthetics, ethnomusicology, genre studies, postcolonial studies, cultural history, music history, iconography, sound and music computing, organology, performance studies, sociomusicology, theory, etc.
In line with the previous conferences held by the SFM, we shall pay particular attention to young academics, PhD candidates, and postdoctoral researchers.
TOPICS OF INTEREST INCLUDE:
- Definition(s) and epistemology of musicology;
- Schools of thought in musicology;
- Dialogues between popular and art music;
- New prospects and methodological renewal;
- Broadening of the methodological fields and of the corpora;
- History of musicology and its branches;
- Relations between French musicology and international research;
- Music and musicology in the francophone space;
- Relations between musicology and practice;
- History of the Société française de musicologie.