I would agree with most of what Lucinda has to say, although I’m less shy about wandering into a camp and asking if I’m in the right place. But often a class is cancelled or a class is too full. In that case, if the classes are close together, I can chose another class to attend. If they are spread around in different camps, that is difficult to do.

Also, I often attend several classes in a row, one after the other. It can sometimes be difficult to get out of one class, especially if it is running late, and get to the next class before it starts or the tent is full. Even when all classes are grouped together. Much more difficult when they are spread around to different camps.

The time I can see for holding a class in a camp is when special tools or setup is needed, such as some cooking classes or a blacksmithing class etc.

But then I may be unusual in that I spend a lot of my time at big SCA events in classes. Sometimes teaching, but more often as a student. Like the Florilegium, my interests are wide-ranging. :-)

Stefan

--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris