> But then I may be unusual in that I spend a lot of my time at big SCA
events in classes.

I'm not entirely joking when I ask: what else would one do during the day?
But seriously, Lilies is the only war I'd suggest considering trying to
replace one or two of the A&S tents.  It's been two years since I've been
to a foreign war, but it's been my impression that classes there tend to
be a bit cramped, time-wise.  A class is one hour (or occasionally two) but
you'd better be out right away because the next class can't start until you
clear out.  A focus on quantity.
This year at Lilies, I spent more than an hour at the hands-on fire safety
class (die flames, die!  Fear my sodium bicarbonate!), two or three hours
dropping in and out of a paper marbling workshop, and several hours most
days on the same woodworking project.

Not wanting to intrude on campsites is definitely a legitimate concern, as
is difficulty finding camp locations (I once spent an hour tromping through
boot-sucking Estrella mud looking for the Crystal Flute competition.)  If
the idea of reducing A&S tents were to be workable at all, it would require
some serious work implementing logistics such as
scheduling, camp/location-signs, and publicity.  (And notifying the A&S
Info-table of class cancellations would need to be made a priority rather
than the current hit-or-miss.)
I really don't know whether it would save enough money to be worth it,
since I don't know how much difference one or two tents would make in
rental costs.  But if there is indeed a large cost difference, it's worth
considering.

-Ingibiorg