I use a LaCie external drive for my backups. I'm also backing up on
thumb drives which I have always done. I don't want to use iCloud.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5. This recent upgrade messed up the ability
to eject the LaCie. Online advice was to shut down the computer (MacPro)
and once turned on again it could be ejected. Result: sometimes but not
always. I know it is hard on the drive to just shut it off while
actively engaged. Techs I consulted said it is a problem (not
particularly helpful). My cynical self says it is another ploy to get
everyone using iCloud.

The real question - does anyone use an external drive using my OS X
version that they could recommend?

You can me answer off line.

Kris Kirkeby

PS I don't speak 'computer'.