I am a Windows person, so the configuration is somewhat different I am
sure.  In my email program (Thunderbird) I have a pane that shows all of
my email folders, and I just make a New Folder, rename it something like
' Inbox 2016' and another one  'sent mail 2016', and then select*all
*emails from 2016 and drag them into the archive folder I have just
created. It takes a minute or two, but then they are separated by year,
at least.  I have gotten really good at conducting searches within those
folders, so I can usually come up with a needed email, back as far as
2007, when I started doing this.  Additionally, I think these are backed
up on my Carbonite cloud backup.

eyeart at chrisgralapp.com

chrisgralapp.com <http://chrisgralapp.com/>