I'm honored to be a source of inspiration! That's such a nice thing to say, Dwaine.

Regarding the stars and such, my understanding is the black holes are not observed directly. Their existence is generally deduced by observing the environment around the event horizon. As an example, I did an illustration for the Gemini Observatory a few years back to show some stars that were spinning rapidly in an elliptical galaxy, indicating the presence of a black hole. http://www.gemini.edu/node/11703

Lynette