Linda, I'm so sorry to hear the outcome! I'm now in the midst of dealing with my computer issues. I was running 10.4.something on an old G4. Thanks to your comments and input from others on the list, I was able to make folders in that version's equivalent of "On My Mac": "Sent" and "Inbox" folders for each e-mail address. I selected all messages in Mail, then use the "Message" and "Move To" commands to get them into the correct place. I discovered the folders I had made on the hard drive were located in the Library folder which, in turn, was located in the little house icon under "Places" when I open up my hard drive and look at that. I copied those folders onto an external hard drive. So I should be able to pull those up again, if necessary. What a process!

At any rate, all files on that G4 are now on the external/extra hard drive, the G4 has been wiped, and it can go to e-cycling. Whew!

That's just the start, though. I'm keeping my Pro, which is running 10.6.8 (still haven't backed up THOSE e-mails), and I just bought a 27" iMac as my new machine.

And (okay, everyone, laugh at me) I STILL have my 9600 sitting behind me collecting dust. I've meant to wipe that drive and get it out of here for what, a dozen years?!!! Don't know if it will even boot up at this point. . .

Lynette