I do the same in Thunderbird; I have always liked it better than Apple Mail on my desktop.

-Gail

On 12/9/16 3:13 PM, Chris Gralapp wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> I am a Windows person, so the configuration is somewhat different I am sure.  In my email program (Thunderbird) I have a pane that shows all of my email folders, and I just make a New Folder, rename it something like ' Inbox 2016' and another one  'sent mail 2016', and then select all emails from 2016 and drag them into the archive folder I have just created.  It takes a minute or two, but then they are separated by year, at least.  I have gotten really good at conducting searches within those folders, so I can usually come up with a needed email, back as far as 2007, when I started doing this.  Additionally, I think these are backed up on my Carbonite cloud backup.