Find a big magnet and run it over the drives several times. That's what the IT guys do at work.

On Dec 23, 2016 9:37 AM, "Linda Feltner" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks, Lynette! I am getting things sorted.
I did laugh at your 9600. I have a "blueberry" in a closet, and still have
a Titanium laptop, and an early small imac. I think when this new one
comes I will ship everything to recycle. Actually there is a small, local
computer repair shop in this tiny town that will recycle the bits of old
computers, I may just back the truck up and unload all old computers, dead
printers... ha. The schools around here don't want 'em. They have grants
for tablets and new technology.

Loads of people say they take a hammer to the hard drive when they remove
it prior to recycle. I don't know what kind of hammer they use, but mine
did not dent the outside cover!!! I still have several hard drives that I
cannot destroy. (Paper weights, door stops???) Maybe ACE hardware will
rent me a sledgehammer. ha. Next is online search for figuring out how to
open the thing, I can't see how it opens to get to the innards. Ah well,
onward!

Much cheer and joy, Happy Solstice the day after, the days getting longer,
eh?

Linda