Stacey,

All our barcodes that we add to specimens are visible from afar without
moving specimens. We only add barcodes to specimens that are being
digitized, thus a quick glance at a drawer is sufficient to determine if
all the specimens have been digitized. This is handy because we had various
taxon-specific projects to digitize and not all the pinned collection is
done yet. Technicians can pull drawers & quickly check to see if there are
any specimens that haven't been done yet.

Example photos at the bottom of this page
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/projects/

We have no special system to code entire drawers as 'done' or not because
our collection is very dynamic. Drawers contents change a lot.

-Derek

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Stacey Huber <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> To all those that are digitizing their collections, I was wondering how
> you keep track, visually, of what has been digitized. For instance, is
> there a labeling system that you place on the drawer to visually show that
> the drawer has been digitized; e.g. a quilting pin placed inside the
> drawer, a sticker color-coding system, a checklist sticker, etc? Or do you
> not visually keep track of which drawers have been digitized?
>
> If you are willing to share your method and the pros and cons of your
> method, that would be wonderful! Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Stacey Huber
>
> --
> Stacey L. Huber
> Digitization Coordinator, McGuire Center for Lepidoptera & Biodiversity
> Florida Museum of Natural History
> 352-219-6477 <(352)%20219-6477>

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Associate Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 347,746 digitized arthropod records
http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento_all
<http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us <http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php>