From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ECN-L automatic digest system
Sent: Wednesday, 14 December 2016 6:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ECN-L Digest - 13 Dec 2016 - Special issue (#2016-162)

There is 1 message totaling 50802 lines in this issue.

Topics in this special issue:

  1. How to determine which drawers have been digitized?

Date:    Tue, 13 Dec 2016 11:06:10 -0800
From:    Peter T Oboyski <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: How to determine which drawers have been digitized?

Hi Stacey,

With ~10,000 drawers it will takes us many years to finish digitizing our collections. So like you, I was looking for a way to keep track of where we are. I cannot see the barcode labels on the specimens (especially under butterflies and other large critters). But also we put our barcodes upside-down as the bottom label for easy scanning. This creates an issue with the determination label as the last label, but our users hated having the barcode label as the top label - they could not see the collection data easily. And I cannot increase the footprint of each specimen by having the barcode stick out beyond the other labels.

I like the idea of a colored label in each unit tray, but I often do not have space. Also, usually we digitize all the contents of a drawer at one time. We do not worry if a handful of units are digitized within a drawer (eg. specimens that have gone out on loan). It is easy to skip the ones already digitized when we get to that drawer.

Instead, I have QR codes on every drawer and keep a database of when that drawer was put into service, databased, curated, infested (hopefully never!), frozen, etc. But that still does not help visually if you are not carrying the database around while walking through the collection. So I also put colored stickers on the outside of the drawer indicating the month and year they were databased. These labels are temporary (until that section is completed), but give me a quick visual of where we left off. It also tells me and my staff, "Do not put a specimen in this drawer that is not databased." Otherwise it may never get databased.

Yes, specimens and unit trays get moved around between drawers. But this system has worked well for us.

Pete

Peter T Oboyski, PhD
Collections Manager & Senior Museum Scientist Essig Museum of Entomology
1170 Valley Life Science Building
University of California, Berkeley

mailing address:
1101 VLSB, #4780
Berkeley, CA 94720

http://nature.berkeley.edu/~poboyski/
http://essig.berkeley.edu

510.643.0804 (work phone)
510.847.0360 (cell phone)

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Dikow, Torsten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Stacey,
>
> for those Diptera I am responsible for at the USNM, we place a small
> orange label inside a unit tray stating that the specimen-level data
> records are in EMu. We therefore keep track of whether a unit tray
> (specimens within a unit tray) have been databased and can add
> specimens not yet databased in a second unit tray for that same species.
>
> Similarly, for primary type specimens in the Diptera assigned to me we
> have added orange labels when the type record has been updated from a
> legacy record and the specimen been photographed.
>
> In my view, both labels help us to quickly find those unit
> trays/specimens that have not been digitized. Our unique specimen
> identifiers are usually not visible from above so that a search for
> non-databased specimens in a drawer without these labels will be very
> difficult. I like the touch of color as it helps to visually assess a drawer’s content easily.
>
> Attached are some drawer/unit tray photos with these labels. Note that
> the yellow labels seen in unit trays refer the successfully updated
> species inventory entries - another digital record we had to keep record of.
>
> Best wishes, Torsten
>
> Hello all,
>
> To all those that are digitizing their collections, I was wondering
> how you keep track, visually, of what has been digitized. For
> instance, is there a labeling system that you place on the drawer to
> visually show that the drawer has been digitized; e.g. a quilting pin
> placed inside the drawer, a sticker color-coding system, a checklist
> sticker, etc? Or do you not visually keep track of which drawers have been digitized?
>
> If you are willing to share your method and the pros and cons of your
> method, that would be wonderful! Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Stacey Huber
>

> . . . . .
> Torsten Dikow, Ph.D.
> Research Entomologist for Diptera
> w 202.633.1005 [log in to unmask]
>
> SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION
> NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
>
> . . . asiloidflies.si.edu
>
> . . . @TDikow #asiloidflies #USNMDiptera
>
> . . . SI Entomology staff page
>
> . . . access to research data at ORCiD http://orcid.org/0000-
> 0003-4816-2909

End of ECN-L Digest - 13 Dec 2016 - Special issue (#2016-162)