Stacey,

All our barcodes that we add to specimens are visible from afar without moving specimens. We only add barcodes to specimens that are being digitized, thus a quick glance at a drawer is sufficient to determine if all the specimens have been digitized. This is handy because we had various taxon-specific projects to digitize and not all the pinned collection is done yet. Technicians can pull drawers & quickly check to see if there are any specimens that haven't been done yet.

Example photos at the bottom of this page http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/projects/

We have no special system to code entire drawers as 'done' or not because our collection is very dynamic. Drawers contents change a lot.

-Derek