There can get to be a bit of logistics involved in reserved sites. Pennsic is a good example of that.

However, for the first couple of Gulf Wars, my barony was not camping as a group. At the fourth?, we set up in an area we had camped in the last year. But someone told us we couldn’t camp there. So we found some where else. And again, some knight came up and said that area was claimed by his household. We were close to giving up and going home, although we had just driven 12 hours to get there. My wife was having a fit/break down. We finally ended up on the other side of the lake near the horse stables. We learned later that we weren’t really supposed to be there, either. But no one chased us off and it actually worked out well.

Then next year my barony put in for a baronial camping area and with some variation over the years, depending upon how many in the barony came vs. how many in the rest of Ansteorra came, it has worked out.

Another thought is to set aside some dedicated areas for folks not attached to any particular group. Pennsic calls this “singles” camping. They don’t care if you are married, though. :-)

Stefan

--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris