To all IT professionals,

Over the weekend you may have run across the following news story:

http://www.ketv.com/article/threatening-correspondence-found-on-unl-campus-university-police-say/8627239

Are your printers secure from malicious activity or spamming?  Do you have a strong password assigned to each printer?  The ITS security team can help prevent incidents like this happening to your departmental printers or audio/video or system control devices by blocking access to them from off campus sources. Your device can remain accessible off campus through the use of VPN.

Currently, ITS has secured over 1500 printers and miscellaneous devices campus-wide.  If malicious activity has occurred with any of your devices, please inform ITS security and UNL Police.

Please review your printer environment.  If you have additional questions, contact the security team at [log in to unmask].

To secure your device, please review our printer security site and put in a request via our printer access form.

http://go.unl.edu/printersecurity

Ricky Keim, GPEN, GCIH
Sr. Information Security Analyst
University of Nebraska