Jim and Eric:

His name was Bill Kamp. He was a PhD student at the University of BC in the late 1960s and early1970s, supervised by Dr Geoff Scudder. He did publish on Grylloblatta, and named some new species. He was originally from California and returned there after he completed his degree. He had planned to publish further on the group but, unfortunately, he died soon after and (I believe that this is still the case) all the specimens he had borrowed from various collections were lost.

His PhD thesis is available on-line (Kamp. J.W. 1973. Biosystematics of the Grylloblattodea. University of British Columbia, Vancouver).

A couple of other papers:

Kamp, J.W. 1963. Ann. ent. Soc. Amer. 56:53-68

Kamp, J.W. 1979. The Canadian Entomologist 111(1):27-38

Geoff Scudder at [log in to unmask] may be able to help further..

A useful summary of research on the Order is found in:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259705007_Ice_Crawlers_Grylloblattodea_-_the_history_of_the_investigation_of_a_highly_unusual_group_of_insects

The group was originally described in a new family in the Order Orthoptera by Edmund Walker (1914) but subsequently was been raised to ordinal rank (I’m not sure by whom). The name Notoptera is also used for the Order.

Regards,

Rob

Robert A. Cannings, PhD

Curator Emeritus of Entomology