Sometimes those who live in the past instead of the present are just as capable of giving us future ways to listen anew. Poundie Burstein, a prime mover behind SMT-V’s inception, is the author of the first video of SMT-V’s third year, entitled "Parenthetic Aside in a 1789 Analysis of Mozart’s K. 284.” In this 11-minute video, Prof. Burstein shares an illuminating and current-paradigm-flouting reductive perspective of the first movement of Mozart’s Piano Sonata in D Major, K. 284 by the Darmstadt musician J.G. Portmann. This analysis compels us to think again about what is and is not necessary and sufficient in late-eighteenth-century sonata-form expositions. You can find the video on Vimeo, or on our society's SMT-V page, or you can let this and subsequent SMT-V videos find you by subscribing to SMT-V’s podcast on iTunes.

I am honored to stand alongside SMT-V's associate editors Anna Gawboy and Bryn Hughes as we continue in our mission to bring you top-notch ideas from the world of music theory in a moving-image format. If you ever have the opportunity, please extend to them a thanks for their service.

As always, your submissions to SMT-V are strongly encouraged. Our submission guidelines, plus more information about the journal’s purpose and peer-review process, can be found here.

Scott Murphy
Professor, Music Theory
University of Kansas
smurphy -at- ku.edu