From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve on behalf of Jeff Stephenson
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 2:49 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]"
Subject: Re: freezing drawers for pest control

Hello,

It’s a matter of temperature and time.  We run our pest management freezer at -30C, bag the drawers (for thawing), and leave them in for 14 days.  No problems with drawers, glass, adhesives, or specimens have been encountered.  It’s a matter of how much time you want to commit; we do it to be as safe as possible, but run a strict schedule for placement and removal.  Lower temperatures can mean shorter duration, but I agree that ultracold temps can cause damage.

JEFF STEPHENSON

COLLECTIONS MANAGER, ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT

[log in to unmask]" alt="DMNS 2 Line RGB small.jpg">

W  303.370.8319
F   303.331.6492

2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver CO 80205

preserve, present, inspire, explore

www.dmns.org

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).