Seems we’ve started discussing this topic early this year. On a few points I must disagree and clear up some confusion. In the US (unless the laws have changed),

1)      For donations with an estimated value claimed by the donor to be under $5000, no independent appraiser is required by IRS.  If the estimated value is over $5000, an independent appraiser is required by IRS  and an IRS 8283 form filed.

2)      Checking dealer prices is only one way to determine if there is a market for specimens! Have any of you ever been to the insect fairs in Europe?  Everything has a market value, even unmounted and unidentified materials.

3)      “…the cost of the pin may be counted”. True. If you had receipts for such supplies or what you paid for the specimens, you could use that value also.

Paul

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul E. Skelley, Ph.D., C.P.M.

Entomology Section Administrator

Florida State Collection of Arthropods

Division of Plant Industry/Entomology

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Assistant Head Editor: Insecta Mundi

Desk (352) 395-4678

Fax (352) 395-4614

Receptionist (352) 395-4700

The Doyle Conner Building

1911 SW 34th St

Gainesville, Florida 32608 USA

or

P.O.Box 147100

Gainesville, Florida 32614-7100, USA

www.FreshFromFlorida.com

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes).

Most written communications to or from state employees are public records obtainable

by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered

public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the

laws of the State of Florida.