I had a unique experience with freezing. We ran all the drawers (about
1000) in the museum through the -80. Our oldest drawers, so far as I can
tell, are from the 1930s and the newest ones are less than a year old. We
had the glass crack in a handful of the older drawers, but no major
problems.

However, we had a series of drawers from Bioquip made in 2012. I don't know
the specifics of the drawers, but whereas normal Bioquip drawers are a
"10", these are a "12"—tight, shiny, Ferraris of drawers. Anyway, within a
few minutes of taking them out of the -80 to let them warm to room
temperature, I began to hear a series of very sharp and alarming "cracks".
I figured all the glass would be shattered and all hope was lost.
Thankfully, the drawers are in perfect condition (so far as I can tell).
However, the drawers had moths in them and a dozen or more specimens in
each drawer lost legs or an abdomen. Presumably the vibration associated
with whatever was causing the cracking noise damaged the specimens. I
haven't tried refreezing the drawers to see if the phenomenon repeats
itself or if the drawers are "fixed".

I don't know if it's worth it or not, but pre-freezing new drawers may be a
realistic strategy to remove this threat.

Cheers,

Mike

--
Michael L. Ferro
Dept. of Plant and Environmental Sciences