I agree w/ Floyd.

Luciana Musetti, PhD | Curator

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | go.osu.edu/osu-insects<http://go.osu.edu/osu-insects>

The Ohio State University | Triplehorn Insect Collection | 1315 Kinnear Road, Columbus, OH 43212-1157 | Office 614-292-2730 | Fax 614-292-7774

On Feb 23, 2017, at 10:47 AM, Shockley, Floyd <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

-80 is overkill for freezing drawers for pest control and CAN lead to damage.  Keep it under -50 and you should be fine (we prefer -45C).

Floyd

Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
Collections Manager (Acting)
Department of Entomology
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
P.O. Box 37012, MRC 165
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Tel (office): 202-633-0982
Fax (office): 202-786-2894
Email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Staff Website:  http://entomology.si.edu/StaffPages/ShockleyF.html

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Ferro
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: freezing drawers for pest control

I had a unique experience with freezing. We ran all the drawers (about 1000) in the museum through the -80. Our oldest drawers, so far as I can tell, are from the 1930s and the newest ones are less than a year old. We had the glass crack in a handful of the older drawers, but no major problems.

However, we had a series of drawers from Bioquip made in 2012. I don't know the specifics of the drawers, but whereas normal Bioquip drawers are a "10", these are a "12"—tight, shiny, Ferraris of drawers. Anyway, within a few minutes of taking them out of the -80 to let them warm to room temperature, I began to hear a series of very sharp and alarming "cracks". I figured all the glass would be shattered and all hope was lost. Thankfully, the drawers are in perfect condition (so far as I can tell). However, the drawers had moths in them and a dozen or more specimens in each drawer lost legs or an abdomen. Presumably the vibration associated with whatever was causing the cracking noise damaged the specimens. I haven't tried refreezing the drawers to see if the phenomenon repeats itself or if the drawers are "fixed".

I don't know if it's worth it or not, but pre-freezing new drawers may be a realistic strategy to remove this threat.

Cheers,

Mike