In Canada we have been receiving insect collections for tax credit for many years.  As people say in this forum, it is a complicated process and different in the USA and Canada and in other countries.  As Paul says, insect fairs in Europe sell many kinds of insects and some at remarkable prices.  Catalogs or ebay auctions are another way to determine value.  I saw a Diaprepes abbreviatus (the Florida citrus pest weevil) sell for $80 recently on ebay!  Check out the ebay auctions, you might be surprised at what sells and at what price.   I agree that building an insect collection has an intrinsic value beyond its monetary value but many 'amateur' entomologists put a lot of time, effort and personal funds into their collections. These collections are often very good and I can point to a number of tiger beetle, longhorned beetle and buprestid beetle collections that are far better than most institutional collections.   If they could sell their collection on the open market, I see no problem with the donation for tax credit approach.  It is also important that the receiving institution realize that incorporating and caring for the collection costs money and thus I encourage receiving institutions to convey this to the donor and ask if some level of financial assistance to receive the collection and properly care for it is possible.  Many people who value their collections will come forward with support, but one must generally ask.   Bob

________________________________
From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Skelley, Paul [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: February 28, 2017 11:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: valuation of insect collections

Seems we’ve started discussing this topic early this year. On a few points I must disagree and clear up some confusion. In the US (unless the laws have changed),

1)      For donations with an estimated value claimed by the donor to be under $5000, no independent appraiser is required by IRS.  If the estimated value is over $5000, an independent appraiser is required by IRS  and an IRS 8283 form filed.

2)      Checking dealer prices is only one way to determine if there is a market for specimens! Have any of you ever been to the insect fairs in Europe?  Everything has a market value, even unmounted and unidentified materials.

3)      “…the cost of the pin may be counted”. True. If you had receipts for such supplies or what you paid for the specimens, you could use that value also.

Paul

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Paul E. Skelley, Ph.D., C.P.M.
Entomology Section Administrator
Florida State Collection of Arthropods
Division of Plant Industry/Entomology
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Assistant Head Editor: Insecta Mundi

Desk (352) 395-4678
Fax (352) 395-4614
Receptionist (352) 395-4700

The Doyle Conner Building
1911 SW 34th St
Gainesville, Florida 32608 USA
or
P.O.Box 147100
Gainesville, Florida 32614-7100, USA

www.FreshFromFlorida.com<http://www.freshfromflorida.com/>

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes).
Most written communications to or from state employees are public records obtainable
by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered
public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the
laws of the State of Florida.