I've been interested in the question of the "value" of insect collections
for a while in order to better estimate the value of a collection manager
(and convince an institution of their value). Here is my cascade of
thought:

1. A mounted labeled specimen has some value (a). (Apparently $4!)

2. A specimen, identified to species by the collection manager has value (a
+ b).

3. A specimen, identified to species by an expert has value (a + c), where
c is more than b.

4. A specimen described as a new species that becomes a holotype or
paratype has value (a + d), where d is more than c.

A collection manager will do lots of 1, less but still plenty of 2, a
little of 3 and 4, but will FACILITATE a lot of 3 and 4.

I know "value" is a very fuzzy term (but so is everything in economics) but
some simple math can show how important a collection manager can be.

Simply mounting and labeling 5000 specimens per year at $4 each is $20,000
worth of "value".

If ID of a species by an expert is a value of $20 per species (I've seen
consultants ask for $100 for each identified species) and increases the
value of each specimen by $4, then ID of 100 specimens of 10 species would
increase the "value" of the collection by $600.  Do that five times with
five experts a year = $3000.

We haven't talked about databasing (I saw an estimate that every specimen
in a database represented $1 of value), or value associated with a specimen
that has been used in a publication.

Even still, I think we can very quickly see that any collection manager
that is facilitating specimen identification and description (= sending
loans) may be contributing a lot (maybe even more than their salary!) to
the "value" of the collection. So a good collection manager doesn't just
represent a "cost of maintenance" to a museum, but is an investment that
can increase the value of the museum.

If we had "real" numbers for the values above (a–d) we would be better off
justifying the "expense" of collection managers.

I REALLY DON'T LIKE having to think in these terms, but that is the system
that we're stuck with.

Cheers,

Mike

--
Michael L. Ferro
Dept. of Plant and Environmental Sciences