Presumably, all recognize that the values of entomology collections are to be found in almost any other corner of curiosity than any country's tax codes.

Esp. today, with the abilities to extract both the past and the future from the residual genetic material --information and real biologically useful material-- still embodied in collections' specimens, as well as the increasing difficulty in obtaining new and/or replacement specimens due to many countries' recognition of the purely avaricious values of their biological "patrimony",  any administration which fails to recognize this heritage and value in their collections are indeed "slippery slope" folks.

Has anyone attempted to put "real" values (to society) of our collections?

Peter

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Lynn Kimsey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Its also a slippery slope because at least with our administration if you informed them of these values they would ask why we weren't selling part of the collection to take care of the rest...

Lynn

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:16:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: valuation of insect collections

I've been interested in the question of the "value" of insect collections for a while in order to better estimate the value of a collection manager (and convince an institution of their value). Here is my cascade of thought:

1. A mounted labeled specimen has some value (a). (Apparently $4!)

2. A specimen, identified to species by the collection manager has value (a + b).

3. A specimen, identified to species by an expert has value (a + c), where c is more than b.

4. A specimen described as a new species that becomes a holotype or paratype has value (a + d), where d is more than c.

A collection manager will do lots of 1, less but still plenty of 2, a little of 3 and 4, but will FACILITATE a lot of 3 and 4.

I know "value" is a very fuzzy term (but so is everything in economics) but some simple math can show how important a collection manager can be.

Simply mounting and labeling 5000 specimens per year at $4 each is $20,000 worth of "value".

If ID of a species by an expert is a value of $20 per species (I've seen consultants ask for $100 for each identified species) and increases the value of each specimen by $4, then ID of 100 specimens of 10 species would increase the "value" of the collection by $600.  Do that five times with five experts a year = $3000.

We haven't talked about databasing (I saw an estimate that every specimen in a database represented $1 of value), or value associated with a specimen that has been used in a publication.

Even still, I think we can very quickly see that any collection manager that is facilitating specimen identification and description (= sending loans) may be contributing a lot (maybe even more than their salary!) to the "value" of the collection. So a good collection manager doesn't just represent a "cost of maintenance" to a museum, but is an investment that can increase the value of the museum.

If we had "real" numbers for the values above (a–d) we would be better off justifying the "expense" of collection managers.

I REALLY DON'T LIKE having to think in these terms, but that is the system that we're stuck with.

Cheers,

Mike