Hi All:

I have been contacted by a student in Australia. I pointed her to the GNSI Website and is now familiar with it.

I am posting to the ListServ, because many of you have background with historical techniques.
If you wish to spend a few minutes answering her questions, she would appreciate the input.

Katie Dridan <[log in to unmask]>
PLEASE CONTACT HER DIRECTLY with your answers. Don't reply via the ListServ, she is not a member.
_____________________
Linda M. Feltner
520.803.0538

Hello,
My name is Katie Dridan and I am a year 12 student at Cornerstone College, Mount Barker, South Australia. I am currently completing my research project and would love if you had the time to briefly answer these questions. My topic of research project is:
“What artistic techniques have been practiced throughout the history of scientific illustration and how can I apply them to creating my own contemporary artworks? “
these questions I have given you will help me in the process of answering my topic.

What is your job title?

What experience do you have with scientific illustration?

How would you define ‘scientific illustration’?

What time period are the scientific illustrations you are involved in from?
(highlight answer)
1.    1400’s
2.    1500’s
3.    1600’s
4.    1700’s
5.    1800’s
6.    1900’s
7.    2000 onwards

From the scientific illustration you work with, what art mediums do you see/use most commonly?   (highlight answer)
1.    Prints
a.    Etching
b.    Mezzotint
c.    Wood cut
d.    Lithograph
e.    Other

2.    Painting
a.    Watercolour
b.    Gouache
c.    Other

3.    Drawing
a.    Carbon dust
b.    Pen and ink
c.    Colour pencil
d.    Silverpoint
e.    Pastel

4.    Digital illustration
5.    Any other?

Of these techniques you use are there any tips you have for me if I were to try and use them in my own artworks?

Of these techniques, are there any you believe are not commonly practiced within contemporary artworks?

Why do you believe they may not be practiced these days?

Which artistic mediums are the most effective for communicating a scientific detail?

Do you believe traditional methods used for scientific illustration have significance contemporary artworks and public exhibitions?

Do you believe applying scientific illustration techniques to contemporary art will create limitations for the artist?

Are there any (other) artists that come to mind who practice scientific illustration techniques in their own artworks?

Thank you so much for you help!

Katie Dridan