The authors of this paper and a similar paper (Donat Agosti & Willi
Egloff, (2009) Taxonomic information exchange and copyright: the Plazi
approach. /BMC Research Notes, 2/:53) are part of a "Swiss-based
international non-profit association" (Wikipedia: Plazi) that is pushing
hard for open access to all taxonomic literature. They also claim to
adhere to copyright law but I question their interpretation of it.

On the Plazi website, Willi Egloff is listed a partner in a law firm in
Bern, Switzerland as well as a Director of Plazi in charge of legal
issues. There is no indication of what type of law he specializes in but
I would be surprised if it was copyright law.

I agree with Emily that this article is disturbing. If GNSI responds, it
should include input from someone who specialized in copyright
law--minimally US copyright law. It would be great to get an
international perspective on copyright and intellectual property as well.

--
Julianne Snider
Asst. Director