OC,

My old Mac bit the dust a few weeks ago so I just got a new one with Sierra
preinstalled. Currently running CS5 on it. Photoshop made me install a
legacy version of Java the first time I opened it but has since been
working smoothly.

Slightly different than your circumstances but if I can still run CS5 then
I imagine CS6 would be fine! Just make sure you have your license info on
hand in case you need to uninstall/reinstall.

Jenn